Thursday 19 November 2015

Random and the Everyday......




Wow, the weather has been a bit of a mixed bag. I know it's a great topic of conversation for the British folk, but mainly grey, wet and really windy this past week.

There was brief glimpse of sunshine yesterday.....all for about an hour.....then grey and wet and howling winds.





































It has meant cosy for me. To tell you the truth, I am loving candles, fairy lights, evening hot water bottles and frothy drinks. So, can't all be doom and gloom!









The usual thing to do after the school collection, is get in, make me a hot cuppa and Baby Bear gets a sandwich. Then we sit on my bed with fairy lights on and spend 10 mins chatting about our days and what was great about it. We usually then go off on a tangent having funny laughter from silly made up words, then the Bigger Bear's are home and it get's more lively. This week though, all chatter has been on Tanks. Yes, Tanks. Baby Bear is quite obsessed about them. Not sure why. He played a computer game with them in and from that day, he is obsessed. We have tank pictures galore in the house and for his Birthday we are all going to a Tank museum. That dude is SO excited......his brothers not so. They are teenagers, and it's embarrassing hanging out with the baby brother and the elders, but he is so desperate for them to join his day of Tank fun. I'm sure it will be an interesting day!











I have been putting a christmas scent on the hob most days and there is a lovely christmassy stinky in the house. I have to tell you, it really does make for a happy, mellow mood. I witnessed some rather mean spirited actions yesterday. I hoped karma would come round and bite them back in the bum, then I came home and the scent of christmas hit me and I thought how lovely and calming. I just ADORE the christmas scent of orange rind, cloves and cinnamon.

I also made rhubarb compote to go with my yoghurt........and CRAVED stodgy Rhubarb Crumble with lashings of custard.Comfort food is quite essential on old and wet days.

























I have come to the conclusion that online Christmas shopping is the way for me to go. Heading into town yesterday to do a little bit and finish up for Baby Bear's up and coming Birthday, I realised I was shopping more for myself than other people....which kind of defeated the whole object. They get me.....EVERYTIME. Seriously....I'm a total SUCKER for Christmas decorations.......and unusual chocolates. If you are a 'Friends' fan, the episode after Monica and Chandler's wedding with Monica and the Wedding presents springs to mind. One of my favourite episodes. Urgh, I cannot be trusted in a shop with Christmas decs. I came home with a snowglobe (was seriously planning to make my own having gathered a ton of inspiration on Pinterest - See my Christmas Board here ), but the skiers were just too cute to pass up. I will make some of my own. I'm searching for the best jars I can to fit the bill. I got some dark chocolates....well just because. I thought they might be good for my Christmas eve ritual, of doing last minute wrapping, whilst knocking back the mulled wine and watching the movie 'Chocolat'. I'm not sure they can last that long to be honest.






















I seemed to be obsessed with Caravans. I went for understated, and then full on bling! The christmas lights around it sold it for me. I'll find it hard to put him away. The Santa mug made an appearance. I'm trying hard to resist using him yet. I thought I'd wait until the 1st of December, but his jollyness is calling out to me.






I got a big pile of books around my Birthday, which I have yet to fully relax and read. I am loving the inspiration though and have so many projects of all types I want to get cracking on. 









I have some cushions I want to crochet, some cushions I want to sew, some cushions I bought plain so I can do a bit of needlework on them. I want to make some of these and I would love to make one of these. I love these and these, although I do not like the price. Wowzers. Lovely inspiration though, so I'd love to make my own hand made versions. I do, however like this as an alternative to a stripey stocking. My ultimate dream would be to learn to MAKE something like this (the fair isle colourway). For now though, anything like this would have to be shop bought. Sigh.  I want to make a gingerbread cake and a house to decorate with Baby Bear. I still need to re-cover some hot water bottles, I want to knit another Bella Wrap and have a go at some socks. I have 3 very different patterns that I want to try to see which is the easiest. So much wanty crafty making....and so little time.















I have some plans to make some wrist warmers for my Narnia Coat. I was thinking blue plain ones, and then some whispy and whimsical Narnia-esque ones. 






















I have a love-hate relationship with Christmas magazines. I love the 'high' they give me form seeing all the lovely christmas joy, then I come back down to earth with a bump when I look at the reality of never achieving anything, and subconsciously feeling like a total failure.






I have to say though that I succumbed to the only mags I really buy these days, simply because they were just so cheery (and you got a gorgeous floral calender with one for next year. One I might add that I may even put up!).

So.......the day is grey and wet. I have that smug feeling (which is virtually unheard of I might add), that I am up to date with the laundry and the whole of the downstairs is all clean and tidy. I have had my frothy coffee and my 5 mins of mag flicking and I'm about to tackle boys bedrooms (wish me luck), whilst I have a batch of soup on the go. Warming broth seems so apt to have on a cold, wet and windy day.







I cannot bring myself to move Mr Grizzles and little Miss White from my kitchen shelf. She has the stunned look I have when I open the Bear's bedroom doors, and he has the look I have to adopt when I go in to tackle them. Oh dear, the silly little things amuse me the most.........

Until next time........


xxx

31 comments:

  1. I did laugh at your comment about the Christmas mags, because I am avoiding them this year for exactly the same reason! To be fair, looking at your photos means that I rate you rate up there with the mags, but instead of avoiding this gorgeous blog I aspire to your decorating loveliness instead. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Emma, you made me laugh! I do have a slight smugness that my house is relatively clean and tidy today, but alas, most of the time it's really like a bombsite.......I just don't post it on here! I'd love to be up there on the realms of these perfect houses in the mags......but I always think, I bet theose people were REALLY stressed out trying to shove all manner or crap into every drawer and cupboard available for the photoshoot! I train my brain to see it all like that when I look at these mags just so I don't feel like a total loser!!!!!!! ha ha! x

      Delete
  2. Had to read this gorgeous post in 2 parts as I got carried away with the links! Love, love, love your beautiful Narnia coat, such a pretty colour! Also love the pretty yarn next to it! Love your fabulous stitchery ( that must've taken some patience) and the frame you've used. Your Christmas candle is delightful and your Avoca wristwarmers look very cosy! I'm off to check out your Christmas Pinterest board now! Have a Fab weekend lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get so lost in Pinterest. It it so great for all manner of ideas for things. Have an awesome weekend too my lovely x

      Delete
  3. Good luck indeed with the bears rooms! I have girls but, they are not any better at it! I've already spied Christmas lights on houses at night and it's very cheery, I say go for it, drink from Mr. Santa mug! I have those same Christmas bulbs on my to do list for this year (here's hoping we both have the time).I'm also in the process of making some blue and a pair of pink hand warmers, great minds! lol If you find a easy sock pattern do share! (Another "on my to do list" after Christmas, if I work up the nerve.) Have a cosy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urgh, it was like wading through treacle! I just don't get how boys can live in mess like it. They simply don't care. I'd love to know what age they start do start! x

      Delete
  4. Vanessa I would love love LOVE to know where the caravan decs came from?!
    Lucyxxxxx (the caravan addict!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy,

      They are both from Paperchase. Currently 3 for 2 on all Christmas decs. They had some awesome ones, but the Caravans got me! Funnily enough, I did think of you when I saw them. They are like a Christmas Connievan!!!!!! xxx

      Delete
    2. thank you thankyou thankyou!!! Off to do a little bit of virtual shopping................xxxx

      Delete
  5. I love the eclectic nature of this, one minute it's super cute with candles and flowers and the next you've just got a grizzly bear chilling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed over the reference to that Friends episode; I had a root canal/crown done at the dentist two days ago, and that lovely office lets you watch videos while they're working on you! They pop a disc in and move the screen right over your head. I opted for Friends and was DISAPPOINTED they were done just before the wedding episode, hahaha! I'm conflicted on what it says about me that I found a dental surgery so relaxing and enjoyable. I would NOT relax at a spa. I've had a pedicure once and HATED having someone touch my feet like that. I only enjoy hubby's foot rubs. Your home sounds wonderful. We're in near-panic mode of finishing so many things that have eaten up far too much time over the next couple days for granddaughter's first birthday, then on to enjoying the holidays. I just can't wait!! Also, I agree about your posts being every bit as tempting and enjoyable as a Christmas mag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a great idea your Dentist has of putting on videos. Such a great distraction. I try and 'zone out' when I'm at the dentists. I have a little scenario in my head which is calm and lovely. a place to visit which I always go to when I'm in the chair. It distracts and calms me no end. However, stick on a Friends episode and that'd be so cool! Although, I might be laughing, and that may not be so good for the dentist.....and my teeth!!!!!!! x

      Delete
  7. What a great blog post - I really enjoyed reading it and seeing all your pics. I succumbed to the caravan with the Christmas tree on top - and have you seen the grey stag with a fluffy collar - and the blue stag, in there too? I just couldn't resist them! I'm also making custard almost every evening and try to remember to bake an apple to go with it!! Enjoy the rest of November, despite the gruesome weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the Caravan just so cute! I have to say, I was tempted by a lot more in that shop. They have some great ones. I have a kitsch tree which I like to decorate with fairly kitsch decorations, so for the last few years I have been buying the odd one or two to get a pretty eclectic kitsch selection. Paperchase are the kings of kitsch decorations I think. I could drink custard by the gallon load I love it so! x

      Delete
  8. Vanessa, great post, I'm feeling Christmas decorations much early this year then normally, yesterday I couldn't wait any longer so I started to change my mantel over, therefore I say.... stop resisting & just enjoy using Mr.Claus.
    I see you got a rather lovely looking candles, can I ask where you got it from I so Love the dish it's in.
    Have a great weekend
    Anna xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,

      I really don't feel this Christmassy so early. Actually it's rare for me to feel Christmassy at all I'm usually so stressed out these last two months of the year. I've only snuck up the ones that I have bought and still have to get the usual ones out. But I must say that I am feeling it this year and rather enjoying it! The candles are from Sainsbury's. They are Figgy Pudding candles and smell rather lovely (more vanilla than anything. Not quite sure what figgy pudding should smell like?!), but I liked the bowls and thought they'd be useful after the candles had finished. They come in two sizes and are currently on promotion. Have a great weekend too my lovely x

      Delete
  9. Love all those pretty photos!!! I save the best christmasmagazines and I usually look through them pretty early in the fall for inspiration...but this year I still have not got around to it....got a few new ones too that I have looked a little bit in....but I hope the holidayfeeling will come soon. Trying to get my house in some order before I get the Advent-decorations and all out for next weekend...as next sunday is the first of Advent here in Sweden.It actually started to snow yesterday but it stopped too soon....I am like a kid that way...hoping for snow...
    That snowglobe was soo cute. I would like to make some too. I Think I have seen Pictures of it in a Magazine so maybe it will be a Project for my daughter and me. And what a Lovely coat, the Narnia-coat?!!! Really like it!
    (By the way...dont think girls are any different...I get that same look I think when I open the door to my daughters room....!!! Guess its just personality.....)Hope you have a great weekend!
    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather here has been incredibly mild, although the forecast is to get cold over the weekend. I do love the first fall of snow, but I live at the top of a steep hill which is a complete nightmare when the snow falls. The roads turn to ice immediately and it's impossible to drive and even walking down the hill is a bone breaking gamble! x

      Delete
  10. Love your pictures! Always inspiring! And I have the same deer - standing right on my table right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love these deer. They are just the right size and so cute to boot! X

      Delete
  11. Beautiful everyday! If only my everyday was so pretty... Certainly feeling inclined to do nothing but cosy up with wool, smelly candles and a hot drink. November seem the perfect month for such activity, doesn't it? Only problem is, so does December, February and March. I have been tempted by the gingerbread book - what do you think about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I feel like hibernating, and coming out again in Spring! I like the gingerbread book. I think it was £2.99 which I thought wasn't bad. It has two basic dough recipes but quite a few ideas other than the basic gingerbread house for Christmas. There's quite a bit I'd like to have a ho at. X

      Delete
    2. Hmmm, you are making it sound tempting!

      Delete
  12. That Narnia coat is perfect. Could you please tell me where it came from? Love this post and those wrist warmers and violet creams look lovely. Thanks. Zoe x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you. The coat is beautiful. Unfortunately, I am the wrong shape for it. I would have loved this but too fitted for me. Zoe x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christmas in the air. It is time. The kids are nagging about it. I say this weekend we will start... But that scarf??? The flower scarf with just a little bit of bling bling... bright roses on natural base... That scarf is hanging on the coat rack at work. Someone forgot it there. It has been there for weeks. Every time I go to the coffee machine I see it. I asked if anyone owns it but nobody knows... For a moment I thought I would snatch it... No one would notice right? But I couldn't do it and the day after someone told me it might be Stephanie's and she is on maternity leave... But oh my it is so perfect for me. I love it. Maybe I should have snatched it without asking anyone first. Maybe no one would have noticed. And as my internship ends in 3 weeks no one would have cared. Where did you buy it? That is so weird to see it at your place.... Spoooky!
    Xxx
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how spooky about the scarf! It's from Accessorize. It's quite an old one i'm afraid so it's not in the stores right now. Maybe ebay, if the left one finally gets collected!!!!!! xxx

      Delete
  15. This post gave me the cheer I am needing tonight after two and a half days of cooking and work for our Thanksgiving celebration and needing to switch gears for Christmas which I am longing to decorate for tomorrow. Thank you for that! I loved seeing your stack of birthday books. I always have to closely examine photos of books to see if there are any I am lacking that need to be added to my birthday/Christmas list. Now I have to confess something weird to you. I just KNEW that was the coat you were talking about. You see, I fell in love with the very same coat a month ago at my local Anthropologie and somehow I was sure that was the coat you were also coveting. Lucky girl you! I bet it looks fabulous on you! Sadly, for me I do not at all need a coat and so cannot in any way justify such a purchase even if it were to go on sale! So excited for you though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost thankful (forgive the pun!) that we don't have Thanksgiving over here in the UK. I'm stressed enough as it is without having to think about that too in the run up to Christmas and Birthday season! Oh that is weird about the coat! Did it remind you of Narnia too? I'm not sure why. Maybe the colour is very Narnia to me, and the faux fur collar seems very 1940's. But that's so weird you knew! It got tried on in the shops and put back. I can usually afford just candles and cups at that store! My parents were so lovely to get it for me as a gift. I am currently loving Francis Quinn's Quinntessential Baking in that pile. Such a novel take on everyday baking. I just love whimsical and quirky! xxx

      Delete

❀ Thank you so much for leaving a comment. If you ask me a question, I will do my best to reply here in the comments section. Just pop back in a day or two and I hopefully will have replied. ❀